Solar Schools Program
What is the National Solar Schools program?
National Solar Schools is a Federal Government initiative offering schools practical support in tackling climate change. The program provides schools with the necessary funding to install renewable energy systems. It also brings educational benefits for students and raises awareness in the wider community through setting a positive example.
Is your school eligible?
All government and non-government, state-registered primary and secondary schools are eligible for National Solar Schools funding. Schools that have received Green Vouchers for Schools funding will have this amount deducted from their National Solar Schools grant.
Making the most of your grant
The larger the solar power system you install the more electricity you will produce. Clear Solar recommends that schools consider using the whole grant on a solar power system to maximise the financial savings that can be achieved. These savings will lower your running expenses, allowing you to invest in other renewable initiatives, such as installing rainwater tanks. Whatever you choose to spend, ensure you receive your maximum funding entitlements by installing a system of at least 2kW. The National Solar Schools Program aims to help every Australian primary and secondary school become a solar school by 2015. However, the sooner you act, the sooner you can enjoy the ongoing financial, educational and environmental benefits that come with having a solar power system at your school.
These benefits of solar power include:
- No greenhouse gas emissions and reduced reliance on fossil fuels
- Generating electricity from a free and sustainable resource – the sun
- Schools receiving rebates on excess power fed back into the grid during weekends and holidays
- Solar modules that are unobtrusive and operate silently
- Solar panels have no moving parts and are expected to last for 30-40 years
- The option to add more solar panels as your requirements grow
- Clear Solar Education Package